Warning signCoronavirus (COVID-19): The Forum in Hemel Hempstead and civic offices in Tring and Berkhamsted are now closed to the public. Our online services remain available and we urge customers to use this facility. If your enquiry cannot be answered via our website, please email customer.services@dacorum.gov.uk or call 01442 228000. Please only contact us for essential/urgent enquiries. For council service updates and other advice, please see our COVID-19 page×


Disabled Facility and Relocation Grants

Grant aid is available for property adaptations for occupants with disabilities.

The Mandatory Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) / Accessible Homes Grant

This grant is available to owners or tenants of properties (including those of permanent residential mobile homes) that are, or will be, occupied by a person with a disability, who requires adaptation work to the property. There are specific types of adaptation works that can be included within the scope of this grant that generally will allow the disabled person safe access into and around the property, to be able to get to the main rooms, and to be able to use the essential facilities where necessary.

The rules relating to these grants are set by legislation and guidance issued by the Government and are subject to the Government's financial means test to see if you qualify on financial grounds, or if you would have a contribution to pay towards the cost of any works.

We are only able to consider adaptations with a recommendation from an Occupational Therapist from Hertfordshire County Council's Adult Care Team. To arrange for an assessment of your needs, please call the team on Freephone 0300 1234 042.

Relocation grants

A relocation grant may be available in agreed circumstances. These grants are intended to help disabled occupiers move to a more suitable home where the home they currently occupy cannot be practically adapted or improved to make it more suitable, or where the costs of any improvements would be excessive.

Energy-saving grants

There are a number of Government-backed schemes available to help you install energy efficiency measures in your home.

For more information, please contact our Home Energy Conservation Officer.

To enquire about the grants available to you, call 01442 228000 and ask for 'Private Sector Housing'. Alternatively, email pshousing@dacorum.gov.uk.

Hertfordshire Warmer Homes

Free or discounted home energy improvements are available for eligible households (Homeowners, Leaseholders and Private Tenants):

  • Loft and cavity wall insulation
  • Heating and hot water repairs

For more information, please call Yorkshire Energy Services on 0330 1289808.

Energy Saving Trust

The Energy Saving Trust website has a range of useful information, including energy-saving products, home improvements, and advice on generating your own energy.

Utility trusts and schemes to help with water and energy debt

Utility trusts and schemes may be able to help with water and energy debt, if you meet their qualifying criteria.

For more information, please visit the British Gas Energy Trust website.