Coronavirus (COVID-19) supported housing advice

We appreciate that this is an uncertain and worrying time for many of you. We wish to assure you that our focus remains the wellbeing, health and safety of our tenants and staff. This page explains how the service may change over the coming weeks and how these changes may affect you as tenants.

What should I do if I develop symptoms of coronavirus?

If you develop a new, continuous cough or a high temperature then you must isolate yourself within your property for a period of 14 days. You should not visit your Supported Housing Officer. Instead you should pull your cord or telephone them for support.

If you need clinical advice you should visit the NHS website. If you do not have access to the internet then you should call 111. In an emergency, call 999.

Will I still receive visits from my Supported Housing Officer?

During this time, most supported housing tenants will be receiving telephone calls rather than their usual home visit from a supported housing officer. This reduces the risk of infection, but the team still wants to keep in touch and help prevent any feelings of isolation. They will be producing a regular newsletter, which is intended for our supported housing tenants to enjoy, but is available to download for anyone who would like to:

 Supported housing newsletter - May 2020 (PDF 2MB)

Will I still be able to use the communal facilities at my scheme?

For the time being, all communal lounges will be closed to tenants. All groups that regularly use the lounges have been cancelled until further notice.

Your laundry rooms will remain open. This is because regular washing of clothing, tea towels and bath towels reduces the spread of the virus. Where possible, we recommend that only one individual uses the laundry room at a time.

Our Cleaning Team have increased the frequency and thoroughness of cleaning within schemes and will continue to do so over the coming weeks.

Thinking ahead

With the current uncertainty, it is important that you consider your arrangements for food and medicine supplies. If you have any concerns regarding food or medication, please contact your Supported Housing Officer by telephone or by pulling your cord.

Useful contacts

  • Dacorum Borough Council Supported Housing Team: Call 01442 228347
  • Hertfordshire Adult Social Services: Call 0300 123 4042.

Warning signCoronavirus (COVID-19): We continue to provide services online and via telephone. However, we recognise that, in some cases, you will need an appointment with an officer so we offer limited pre-booked appointments at the Forum for urgent enquiries. You may experience longer waiting times or an online response due to increased demand on our services. Please call 01442 228000 and ask for the service you require. For council service updates and other advice, please see our COVID-19 page×