Warning signCoronavirus (COVID-19): The Forum in Hemel Hempstead and civic offices in Tring and Berkhamsted are now closed to the public. Our online services remain available and we urge customers to use this facility. If your enquiry cannot be answered via our website, please email customer.services@dacorum.gov.uk or call 01442 228000. Please only contact us for essential/urgent enquiries. For council service updates and other advice, please see our COVID-19 page×

Moving to a smaller home

If your council home is too large for you then we can help you move to a smaller one. 

Even if you are behind with your rent we will consider helping you move to a smaller home. We will pay you an amount of money according to the number of bedrooms that you are giving up. If you have rent arrears we will use this money to reduce the outstanding amount and will then give you any money left over.

  • We will pay you £500 for each bedroom that you are giving up. (One payment will be made per household).
  • We would also pay your moving costs and will install your cooker and washing machine if you are moving into another DBC home.
  • To help you move to a smaller home we will award you an additional 45 points for each bedroom that you are giving up.

If you would like to move to a smaller council home, please contact your Housing Officer (Tenancy) by calling 01442 228000 and asking for 'Housing or by emailing housing@dacorum.gov.uk.

You can also move to a smaller home by swapping with another tenant. We call this a mutual exchange. However, if you move home by this method you will not be entitled to receive any payment.