Starting a food business

Before you open a new food business in Dacorum, there are few things you need to do. Download the  Food Standards Agency's guide (PDF 522KB) for more helpful tips.

Register your premises

You will need to register your premises with us a minimum of 28 days before you start trading. This includes catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises such as stalls or vans.

To register your food premises, please complete our online form:

Register a food business

Alternatively, you can download and complete our  Food premises registration form (PDF 159KB)

Return the completed form to or Environmental Health, Dacorum Borough Council, The Forum, Marlowes, Hemel Hempstead, Herts, HP1 1DN.

Find out if you need a licence

You will need a premises licence if you are planning to:

  • sell alcohol
  • sell hot food and drink after 11pm
  • provide entertainment (for example, music, dancing, karaoke, plays)

Please go to our premises licences page for more information and to apply.

If you are planning to sell food on the street, you will need a street trading consent.

Get up to speed on the food safety basics

When you produce or prepare food, you must make sure that it is safe to eat.

Food safety regulations

Food safety management procedures are the processes that you will follow to ensure that your food is safe. You must be able to show what you do to make or sell food that is safe to eat and you must have this written down.

The Food Standards Agency offers a free food safety management tool for caterers and retailers called Safer Food, Better Business. For more information about the tool and to get started, go to the Food Standards Agency website.

Food hygiene training

Food handlers must be supervised or trained in food hygiene matters. For more information about training, download the Food Standards Agency's  Food hygiene - a guide for businesses (PDF 309KB).

Who offers food hygiene training?

If you decide to attend a food hygiene training course, we recommend that you choose at least a Level 2 course. A Level 2 course should last around six hours.

The following offer food hygiene courses (including Level 2):

We recommend that any training you attend is accredited by Ofqual.

Local Plan flats and houseHelp shape the future of Dacorum by having your say on our revised draft Local Plan. The deadline for making comments is 11.59pm on Monday 11 December 2023. Find out more and give your feedback.   ×