Warning signCoronavirus (COVID-19): The Forum in Hemel Hempstead and civic offices in Tring and Berkhamsted are now closed to the public. Our online services remain available and we urge customers to use this facility. If your enquiry cannot be answered via our website, please email customer.services@dacorum.gov.uk or call 01442 228000. Please only contact us for essential/urgent enquiries. For council service updates and other advice, please see our COVID-19 page×

Environmental permits

All industrial processes have the potential to release pollution to land, air and water. As well as damaging the environment, this pollution can pose a risk to human health.

It is an offence for any person or company to operate a permitted activity without a valid environmental permit.

There is a separate application page for Waste Operations exemptions (T3 and T7).

Eligibility criteria

Applications must be made by the operator of the regulated facility, on the form supplied by the regulator. There may be a fee to pay.

If further information is required, the applicant will be notified by the regulator and they must provide this, or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

For waste operations, no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission has first been granted.

Application evaluation process

We will take into account the protection of the environment when processing applications. We may inform the public of the application and must consider any representations.

It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. We will then add your application to our part A and B Environmental permitting processes register.

Part A1 industrial processes

The Environment Agency regulates the larger and more polluting industries such as landfill sites, fuel and power stations, metal production and processing, mineral industries and chemical industries. You can apply online on its website:

Apply online for a part A1 environmental permit

Part A2 industrial processes

We regulate the medium risk industrial processes in terms of controlling emissions to air, land and water, as well as noise, vibration, odour, waste disposal and energy efficiency. A2 processes include foundries, glass making, galvanising, rendering, animal carcass incineration, ceramics and roadstone coating.

Apply online for a part A2 environmental permit

Part B industrial processes

We also regulate the lower risk industrial processes in terms of controlling emissions to air. Part B processes include petrol stations, concrete crushers, vehicle re-sprayers, small waste oil burners and dry cleaners.

Apply online for a part B environmental permit

Permit application forms

If you are an operator of a process which potentially requires a permit, there are a number of application forms which you can download below. If you are a current operator and wish to apply for a new permit, vary a permit or surrender a permit, please download the relevant form.

Failed application or licence holder redress

If you apply for an environmental permit and we attach conditions or we do not grant it, you have a right of appeal. Please contact us using the details below.

Email: ecp@dacorum.gov.uk
Telephone: 01442 228455

An applicant who is refused an environmental permit may appeal to the appropriate authority. In England, the appropriate authority is the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision.

Appeals must be lodged in relation to a regulator-initiated variation, a suspension notice or an enforcement notice, not later than two months from the date of the variation or notice and in any other case not later than six months from the date of the decision.

Consumer complaints

If you have a complaint about the holder of an environmental permit, please get in contact with the holder. The best way to do this is by sending a letter with proof of delivery.

If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice Bureau will be able to give you more advice.

From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Contact us

Telephone: 01442 228455
Email: ecp@dacorum.gov.uk